Sept. 18 & 19 - Thurs & Fri


I picked our next destination of Gettysburg with stops on the way of Lancaster and Intercourse to see the Amish way of life. On the way we saw lots of fields of soya beans and fields of corn. We fell in love with the town called Intercourse and decided to get a place for two nights. The first place was full so we drove to another that they recommended called Country Haven Campground. Terry went in to register and came back saying it was quite expensive $87 for 2 nights but it was so beautiful and the scenery was fantastic so we decided it was worth it. That is until I had put a couple of loads of laundry in and then started to read their rules boldly typed in large fonts on red paper. There were so many don'ts and do nots that I was starting to get an uneasy feeling. Then when the lady brought over some quarters for washing and reprimanded us for the dogs barking when she came to the door, I really started to get uncomfortable. Then as I was starting the laundry, I noticed the male owner standing at the back of our unit listening for our dogs, I told Terry I didn’t think this place was going to work as we wanted to leave the dogs to do some sightseeing tomorrow. I could feel my temper rising quickly. Terry then went over to speak with them about our concerns and decided that it would be best that we don’t stay any longer than was necessary to pack up. Best decision we have ever made.

I was sorry to miss sightseeing the area but had such a bad taste in my mouth that we decided to continue on to Gettysburg. Of course, I had two loads of laundry to finish washing and load into the trailer wet. I decided that I would dry them at our next place. The campground owners were smart enough to give us a full refund.

So we left about 5 and arrived at Gettysburg Artillery Ridge Campground around 6:30. By the time we set up and I finished drying our laundry it was 9 and we still had to eat! I was so tired! Fortunately, we were greeted by three very nice ladies who couldn’t believe our horrific time at the other place. Another guy gave us some great suggestions on easy back in parking of the rig and then helped Terry park it in a tight spot. Spoke to Sara and the kids last night for almost an hour catching up news and Naythan telling me answers to multiplication problems and the capital cities of Canadian provinces. He was really showing off and I loved it. Katya was her usual sweet self.

Friday we woke late to large walnuts being dropped on our rig by more squirrels and lots of horses everywhere. Had a late breakfast and then walked around with the dogs to watch all the riders.

We then drove into Gettysburg and walked around the town centerand into some shops. Tons of history here. This poor town was definitely affected by the Civil war. We then drove to the National Military Park which was just down the road from our campground. Lots and lots of people. We watched a 20 minute film about the battle of Gettysburg and the significance of it and of Abe Lincolns Gettysburg Address. Very interesting and kind of put things into perspective. We couldn’t get over the amount of war memorabilia the museum had and the interest of all the people there. It was quite overwhelming. Very interesting though. After that we drove to fill up the truck and saw quite a bit of the battle fields. It covered a large area. Next we are headed to Lexington, VA via Shenandoah Valley and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

No comments: